Reasons to reduce plastic

Every bit of plastic ever made, from candy wrappers, to cling wrap, to bags, exists forever. The production of new plastic involves irreparable environmental damage. Recycling, while the best choice for unavoidable plastic purchases, does not make plastic magically disappear; it only forestalls the eventual journey to the landfill. Don't just recycle, refuse unnecessary plastic!

Sunday, December 5, 2010

How Far Can I Go?

While I am the driving force behind this experiment in a deplasticized life, my husband (who is very good-natured) has been willing to go along with the program. After doing some deep soul searching, we have decided that into our lives some plastic must fall. I have great respect for the ladies at Fake Plastic Fish and Life Less Plastic, who have nearly eliminated all of their plastic purchases, but we're not sure if we can achieve their level of success . Instead, we believe that we can eliminate approximately 80 percent of the plastic from our purchases by being far more mindful.

The benefits:

We will be eating far more fresh food and less junky snacks.
We will be saving money by making our own cleaning products.
We will be exploring resources for a plastic free life in our corner of the world, Mid-Michigan.
We will get to share our money saving and plastic saving tips with all of our friends!

3 comments:

  1. Have you figured out what to do about hair products, lotion, make-up products, etc...What about diapers? I have heard that those make up the most trash in the land fills and they never go away. Here in Charlotte, they ask us to double bag them in those plastic grocery bags too (which I don't do). Just wondering. I tried doing cloth diapers a few times, but gave up on it since I was the one washing them. I wish there was a diaper service in the area, but not so.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As far as hair products, lotion, and make-up go, I'm going to experiment with some different alternatives. I will post my findings on the blog, and you can decide if you want to give them a try.

    The diapers would be hard to do without. I guess the bottom line is be more mindful with our purchases so that we're only buying the plastic products that we really need. I think that by taking this attitude to the store, most of us can reduce our plastic waste.

    Hopefully, if enough people get involved in this movement, manufacturers will start designing more biodegradable packaging, or will, at the very least, begin using much higher amounts of post-consumer plastic in their packages. Unfortunately it now seems as if manufacturers that previously used glass and paper are switching to plastic. I have just noticed that every candy is now wrapped in plastic, not paper! It sure keeps me out of the candy aisle!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone should start a diaper service again. My mom only used cloth diapers with me and my sisters. Except she didn't wash them. She paid a company to come a swap out the ditry ones with the clean. I would imagine that it probably would cost about the same.

    ReplyDelete