Reasons to reduce plastic

Every bit of plastic ever made, from candy wrappers, to cling wrap, to bags, exists forever. The production of new plastic involves irreparable environmental damage. Recycling, while the best choice for unavoidable plastic purchases, does not make plastic magically disappear; it only forestalls the eventual journey to the landfill. Don't just recycle, refuse unnecessary plastic!

Monday, December 13, 2010

Pizza Pizza! OR Plastic Plastic?

At our house, we are big fans of Little Caesars Pizza. On Friday night there is nothing better than the Hot and Ready pizzas, but we were astonished to open up our pizza box this week and discover a greasy piece of plastic film on top of our dinner. I realize that Little Caesars probably opens up many plastic pouches of cheese and dough to make our pizza, but a pizza once in a while is something that we just can't give up. I can resign myself to the plastic bags that may go to a landfill to make our pizza, but this plastic film (which supposedly keeps it hot) is a complete waste. It may not seem like a lot of plastic, but on a busy Friday night, every Little Caesars in Michigan probably goes through hundreds of little plastic sheets.

Even more important than the waste is that I don't want plastic film touching my hot food. Plastic is notorious for leaching chemicals into food, and while some studies have shown that newer plastic wraps are far safer than they used to be, I really don't want to take any chances on this one.

Plus, there is nothing more unappetizing than removing a piece of greasy plastic from a pizza. While I know my pizza isn't exactly low calorie, the last thing I want is to be reminded of just how much grease I'm about to ingest. Pizza is supposed to be fun, not frightening.

I've been buying pizza without a plastic accessories my entire life, and I want to continue this trend. I have called Little Caesars to voice my concerns and told them about my blog. Let's see what we hear back!

6 comments:

  1. It makes the cheese on my pizza look wet and disgusting.

    I am gonna contact Little Caesars as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole,

    We understand that you are working to eliminate plastic from your daily life, and we appreciate your concerns. We share these concerns, which is why we performed extensive research when selecting the material for these sheets.

    The plastic sheet on our deep dish pizzas is called a heat sheet. Its purpose, as you mentioned, is to keep the pizza hot. It is made of High-density polyethylene (HDPE), a food-grade plastic that does not have the properties you expressed concern about. It is also recyclable.

    You may always ask for your pizza without a heat sheet.

    Thank you for sharing your concerns with us.

    Sincerely,
    Little Caesars

    ReplyDelete
  3. The colors pictured above are what I use for underpainting. It may not seem worth it to go through all these steps, corrugated plastic sheets

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought i would blog a little about plastic glue (plastic adhesives) to help sort out the mystery of using adhesives and plastics. there's really some basic element. ........polypropylene corrugated sheets suppliers,http://www.jx-plastic.com/polypropylene_sheets_4x8_292.html........

    ReplyDelete
  5. is a high quality extruded thin walled corrugated plastic sheet formulated specifically for use in packing. plastic corrugated signs custom

    ReplyDelete
  6. The cheese itself taste like plastic w n plastic topper. It didnt taste like this months ago but every weeken for months the cheese taste like plastic smells:(

    ReplyDelete