Reasons to reduce plastic

Every bit of plastic ever made, from candy wrappers, to cling wrap, to bags, exists forever. The production of new plastic involves irreparable environmental damage. Recycling, while the best choice for unavoidable plastic purchases, does not make plastic magically disappear; it only forestalls the eventual journey to the landfill. Don't just recycle, refuse unnecessary plastic!

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Make Your Own Yogurt

My husband and I eat a lot of yogurt. First, we started out eating it in single serve cups for lunch. Every time I threw a little cup away, I felt a pang of guilt. We evolved to buying the big 32 ounce tubs so as to use less packaging per serving. We have now reached the final stage of our evolution, making our own!

Initially I thought that making yogurt would require equipment akin to what one might find in a biology lab. After all, this stuff has live cultures in it! I half believed that it was made in some kind of underground controlled facility. How wrong I was. Yogurt is one of the easiest recipes to make. Once it gets going, it makes itself. We make a batch every week in a big glass container, and we are finding that the taste is milder and fresher than anything we ever bought in the store.

Just 6 easy steps away:

1. Everything you need to make your first batch (for the first batch you'll need to start with 1 cup of store bought yogurt for the culture).

2. Pour 4 cups of milk (we use 2% milk) into a pot and heat to 120F

3. Stir half a cup of dry milk powder (non-fat is fine) into milk (it acts as a thickener)

4. Use maple syrup or honey as a sweetener. Anywhere from 2 to 5 tablespoons. For unsweetened yogurt you still need to use 2 tablespoons. It won't taste sweet at all, but it helps the culture develop.

5. In a separate dish, mix 1 cup of reserved already-made yogurt with one cup of the warm milk. Pour the remaining warm milk from the pot into a large container. I prefer to use glass. Finally whisk the milk and yogurt that you have combined into the glass container with the warmed milk. I use a 1.75 quart container, and it has plenty of room.

6. Place the glass container in a cooler with a heating pad tucked around/below it. The goal is to keep the mixture at about 115F (medium on our heating pad). Let the mixture sit for 8-12hrs then refrigerate. Once cold, your yogurt is ready to eat. It's fantastic topped with maple syrup or honey. The only hard part is remembering to save a cup to get the culture going for the next batch!


5 comments:

  1. This is great!! I will be making this for sure. What about fruit flavors? My girls eat a lot of yogurt, but they like the fruit flavors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah experiment with fruit for us!!!! I feel like the anti fight the plastic as everything my kiddos require is plastic. Keep fighting the good fight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. For extra flavoring we have been topping the yogurt with Stonewall Farms Blueberry Syrup. It is awesome on the yogurt. I really prefer adding my own flavorings because I'm controlling the sugar. I think it would also be really good if you mixed cinnamon into the finished yogurt and topped it with a little apple sauce. Trader Joe's also makes some great no sugar added fruit spreads that I have mixed into the finished yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Other flavor ideas could include fresh herbs for a savory type yogurt, homemade caramel, or even chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Syrup from canned fruit(homemade or store bought) is great for flavoring yogurt as well.

    ReplyDelete