Reasons to reduce plastic

Every bit of plastic ever made, from candy wrappers, to cling wrap, to bags, exists forever. The production of new plastic involves irreparable environmental damage. Recycling, while the best choice for unavoidable plastic purchases, does not make plastic magically disappear; it only forestalls the eventual journey to the landfill. Don't just recycle, refuse unnecessary plastic!

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Where did the plastic go?

Funny how you can look at something every day and not really see it. Take for instance my spatula. We've had it for about ten years. It might be one of the first kitchen utensils my husband and I bought for our apartment. Since I have started thinking about the plastics in my life, I have a new eye for everything plastic in my house. So, the other morning when I was cooking breakfast, I actually looked at my plastic spatula. Maybe it's better not to notice these things... Over the years, little bits of my spatula have apparently either flaked off or melted off. Where did the plastic go? I'm guessing we've been eating little bits of it for the past decade. Pretty scary when you consider that nearly all Americans now have appreciable levels of plasticizing chemicals in their blood streams. What will all of these chemicals do to us in the long run? The jury is still out, but I'm guessing it won't be good. The exciting news is that our generation is the first in human history to find out! Nothing like being on the forefront of scientific research!

Bottom line, this spatula is destined for an eternity in the landfill, and we went out and bought three new wooden spatulas. We all owe it to ourselves and our health to purchase products made out of tried and true natural components, even if it means looking a little harder or paying a little more. The alternative is buying plastic and being a guinea pig in the biggest chemistry experiment of all time.

1 comment:

  1. That is somewhat scary! I know goats and chickens need little hard pellets to help digestion, but I don't think humans do?

    ReplyDelete